Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Women + listening or lack of it

My friend Susan and I were talking this AM about how hard it is to get members of the opposite sex to listen to us.

Gloria Steinem speculated that it has to do with being the primary parent, so we get tuned out because that's what kids do as they gain independence.

Anyone have suggestions on why we have trouble being heard?

What can we do to improve our odds?

I know I listen more to those who say less.

And I am going to try to listen to others better myself and see what happens.

It won't be easy.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Lynn

2 comments:

  1. "Children should be seen and not heard."

    How many of us grew up when that was a common reference? It seemed to apply inordinately to little girls.

    I grew up with brothers who never listened to me (but then neither did my mother). The brothers still don't.

    The problem intensifies when the subject is one women 'traditionally' don't participate in.

    I follow baseball with some regularity and can comment knowledgeably on players and teams, yet often I am literally 'not heard' when other conversants are male.

    It is always -- still -- surprising to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I think men and women don't speak the same language. That's maybe what makes it difficult to be heard.

    A funny take on this is in Dave Barry's "Complete Guide to Guys." In one chapter, a woman brings up a relationship talk with a man. While she's discussing the significance of having been together for 3 months means, he's thinking that 3 months means he's due for an oil change.

    I guess it's like arguing with a man who insists a shirt is blue when you're trying to tell him it's aqua.

    ReplyDelete