This past 6 mo., I've had a very disappointing experience joining my local DFL committee. To be honest, I was spread a bit thin and did not give it my all. But there was a definite lack of leadership in the city/state DFL, and those most familiar with traditional policies and practices didn't clue us newbies in.
Given all the craziness that women in politics have to put up with, I'm beginning to wonder -- are there other arenas where women can more efficiently help run the world. Many of my friends run small businesses, and of course, I do too. In large part, many of us have become small biz owners to avoid the barriers inherent in large organizations.
I know things are becoming incrementally better, and that our daughters will have a much broader spectrum of choices than we did. Still, it's a bit depressing when most of the stories about Michelle Obama have to do with what she is wearing and how toned her arms are. Hillary is out of the lime light, and Sarah Palin is the butt of David Letterman's jokes. Bottom line, how can we change a sexist society without burning ourselves out?
No comments:
Post a Comment