Thursday, June 24, 2010

Status of women still abysmal: Let's create an extraordinary future for young women

I'm looking forward to hearing what the Women's Foundation of Minnesota finds out on its Road to Equality Tour. The foundation has done a terrific job of publicizing its research results during the past week. And the results are not surprising, women lag in wages, safety and security, health and reproductive rights, and political power. 

These depressing statistics are old news. Touring communities and finding out what people have to say about how to CHANGE women's lives is inspiring.

I want the young women who date my son, who are my nieces and students to have more options than I did. I have few regrets but lots of frustration about having to fight for things men take for granted, which is why I have great empathy for today's minorities who have to fight for what whites take for granted. 

I'll keep you posted on what solutions the Women's Foundation of Minnesota discovers. In a world that is facing so many depressing problems, I want to encourage people in my circles to focus on Solutions. If we take the energy we spend on Problems and turn it toward Solutions, this can be a decade that goes down in the books as a turning point rather than a spiraling downturn.


(From a recent Women's Foundation of Minn. Press Release) 2010 Road to Equality Tour - June 21-30, 2010 
To deepen its understanding of what the data looks like in communities across the state, the Women’s Foundation of Minnesota will visit seven cities on its 2010 Road to Equality Tour, June 21-30, including Warroad, Moorhead, Grand Rapids, Duluth, Willmar, St. Cloud and Rochester. The Foundation will present the data and gain community input. 
PDF downloads of the full report and summary of Status of Women & Girls in Minnesota and more information about the 2010 Road to Equality Tour is available at www.wfmn.org

No comments:

Post a Comment