I’ve been writing resolutions and keeping most of them as long as I can remember. Sometimes they’re short and sweet. Sometimes they’re long and complex. Last year, I actually took the time to do a progress report on my old resolutions before I cranked out the new ones. As I get older, I realize going full speed ahead without looking back to reflect on what worked, what didn’t work and what I (and others in my life) deserve credit for.
My goals for 2009 were pretty simple: sell the house; stick to my fitness plan; and make quantifiable progress on my writing projects. While I made solid progress on goals 2 and 3, goal #1 stubbornly refused to budge despite the down payment we made on a condo downtown, despite our efforts to make our home as appealing as possible, and despite all the great advice from friends who had successfully sold their homes during the past couple years.
When it was clear that our home was not going to sell (at least given the current price, condition and Realtor), I told my young assistant “this is the first goal in almost 20 years that I haven’t been able to achieve.” After a year on the market, when we took the house off the market last May we finally realized we were dealing with an opponent far larger and more implacable than we were.
As I ponder resolutions for 2010, do I dare include “sell the house” again? And what have I learned from my 2009 resolutions beyond some hard real estate realities? My major takeaway is that Plan Bs are key in recessions. I’ve always told my students who are graduating to go for the job of their dreams. Now I tell them to go for the job of their dreams but be willing to accept something less if necessary. And I tell them to get experience in their chosen profession, even if they have to work as an intern for free. I add, “Hang on to your job as a server to pay for your living expenses.”
This tide will turn
2010 is not a year to give up on our dreams. It’s just a year to be a bit more realistic about whether they’ll come true on our timetables. I was in my mid-30s before I got the job of my dreams (working for a daily newspaper in a major media market). Ironically, I found out that my original job of PR consulting was a much better fit for me. So Plan Bs can turn into Plan As. I imagine that is true of Plans C and D as well.
We may not get everything we dream of in 2010, but if we play our cards right and keep our eyes on the big picture, I’m confident we can get closer to our heart’s desire.
No comments:
Post a Comment